The State Secretariat for Culture promotes the development of the Spanish library sector and co-operation among the institutions in the Spanish library system through the Office of Library Co-ordination of the General Department of Fine Arts and Cultural Assets and Archives and Libraries.
- Drafting programmes and plans to promote and improve the Libraries, as well as co-ordinating and promoting library co-operation.
- Offering technical services and providing library-related advice.
- Creating, stocking and promoting state owned libraries.
- Obtaining, processing and using statistical library data.
- Co-ordinating and maintaining the Bibliographical Heritage Joint Catalogue.