This Office has the following functions:
Creation of the General Register of Assets of Cultural Value and the General Inventory of Personal Property:
- Centralisation and updating of the databases of the assets that enjoy any type of protection by the Autonomous Communities or the Central Government.
- Processing of the procedure for the declaration of Items of Cultural Interest or inclusion of the General Inventory of Personal Property in the case of Spanish Historical Heritage Assets assigned to public services managed by the Spanish Central Administration and National Heritage.
- Annual campaigns for cataloguing Church-owned Spanish Historical Heritage personal property.
Proposal for the acquisition of Spanish Historical Heritage assets and for the measures to be adopted for their protection and defence:
- Secretariat of the Spanish Historical Heritage Assets Classification, Valuation and Export Board.
- Proposal for the acquisition of Spanish Historical Heritage assets: direct sale offers, first option and retraction rights, tax payment in kind, donations of cultural assets, irrevocable sale offer.
- Processing of export applications for Spanish Historical Heritage assets.
- Proposal and adoption of measures against illegal trafficking of cultural assets.
- Processing complaints for pillaging.
- Processing of applications for the Central Government Guarantee for works of cultural interest.
Co-ordination with the Ministry units that manage Spanish Historical Heritage assets, as well as all other ministerial departments and, when appropriate, with all other public Administrations:
- Secretariat of the Spanish Historical Heritage Council.
- Follow-up and execution, when appropriate, of the 1% cultural support measure.
- Collaboration with the National Police Force's Historical Heritage Brigade, with the Civil Guard's Historical Heritage Group and with the Spanish Tax Administration's Customs Department.
- Co-operation with the European and international Heritage entities: UNESCO, Council of Europe and European Commission, as well as with other countries.