The palace, which houses the Cerralbo Museum, was built as a primary residence where the Marquis and Marquess could display the art and antique collections they had accumulated throughout their lives. Located in the modern Argüelles district on a plot measuring 1709 m2, the façade stands on the streets Ferraz, Ventura Rodríguez and Juan Álvarez de Mendizábal. The architects, Alejandro Sureda, Luis Cabello y Asó and Luis Cabello Lapiedra, worked successively from 1883 following the directives of the Marquis of Cerralbo until the work was completed in 1893.
The architectural style of the façade reflects the classicist, historical eclecticism and neo movements of the era, alternating stone and brick. Each one of the façades is divided into three bodies joined by pilasters that embellish the four keeps on the building. Similar to contemporary French hotels, the interior distribution is arranged around a central patio. The rooms are distributed according to nineteenth century criteria: on the one hand, the private quarters on the mezzanine floor; and on the other hand, reception halls and rooms on the main floor. The last floor houses the archives and service areas whereas the areas reserved for domestic help such as the kitchens, pantries, garages, harness room, etc. were found on the lower ground floor.Salto de línea
The interior decoration of the palace features Neo-Baroque and Rococo elements and the works are displayed throughout the spaces with a horror vacui horror vacui atmosphere.
The current palace garden corresponds to a recent reinterpretation based on a sketch by the Marquis himself of the romantic 19th century English or landscaped garden arranged around a central pond. The pond features sculptures of mythological figures, fauna and busts of Roman emperors.
The pavilion/viewpoint was designed by L. Cabello y Asó in 1891, with a two-level hexagonal floor. The belvedere-like top is adorned with classical columns interspersed by sculptured busts.