The Palacio de Villena was an aristocratic residence built for Antonio Velasco y Rojas in the mid-16th century and is opposite the College of San Gregorio.
After being inherited by various generations, ownership of the building fell to the wife of the Marqués de Villena in the 18th century (and the reason the house is known by that name) and later to the Duques del Infantado, the Marqués de Casa Pombo, and the Marqueses de Alonso Pesquera, who eventually sold it to the State in 1919. From then on, and until 1982, the palace housed the seat of the Civil Government.
The building's courtyard and main staircase are very similar to those, also in Valladolid, of the Palacio Butrón, designed by architect Francisco de Salamanca.
The very generous-sized staircase retains both the original coffered ceiling as well as the stonework that is entirely carved, and the highlight is the splendid entrance arch. The corner towers do not belong to the original design of the building and were commissioned by the Marqués de Casa Pombo in the late 19th century, perhaps in an attempt to emulate other neighbouring palaces. He is also responsible for the neo-Renaissance transformation of the façade, the rearrangement of the doors and windows and placing triangular and curved pediments over them.
The interior retains the magnificent two-storey courtyard, colonnaded on three sides (as is usual in Valladolid palaces), with arches supported by smooth columns with Ionic capitals giving it a very elegant look.