This historic headquarters was built between 1549 and 1557 by master Antoni Carbonell using Montjuïc stone, and it is listed in the Historical and Artistic Buildings Index of Barcelona, and as a National Monument. Its origins lie in a decree of the Cortes held by Emperor Carlos V at Monzón in 1547 creating this extension to the Palacio Real Mayor as the seat of the Viceroy of Catalonia. It was built on top of archaeological remains from three overlapping periods: the Roman era (1st century A.D.), the Paleo-Christian period (5th and 6th centuries) and the Middle Ages (8th to 11th centuries). It is located between the apse of the cathedral and the Plaza del Rey, the ancient location of the Royal Palace, the Tinell Hall and St. Agatha's Chapel, in other words, completing one of the most important clusters of Barcelona’s Gothic Quarter. It is a square building of five storeys plus two basement floors, built around a central courtyard garden supported on one side by the ancient Palace complex (the watchtower section known as the Mirador del Rey Martín). Since it reopened after renovation works in January 2007, it has been used for teaching, specialist research and educational activities, with guided visits to the historic areas and the temporary exhibition room, where the history of the Archive and its collections are explained. It also has a Teaching Room for workshops and training courses and a Conference Room with seating for 120 people and simultaneous translation equipment.
Newly constructed building opened in 1994. It comprises two sections; the first one has three floors with the information and enquiries areas, offices, laboratories, Reading Room and other services; the second one has four floors distribute on 12 archive's rooms with the documents of the Archive.
(WMV: 1,15 MB)