The coffered ceiling of this room was made in the mid-sixteenth century during the construction of the palace. Traditionally known as “pineapples” coffered ceiling, it consists of square coffers decorated with bunches of grapes. It was intended to cover a reception room, although it was no completed due to abandonment of the building by the viceroys.
After its discovery in 1935, the restoration project involved the recreation of some parts of it which were no preserved. At the same time, the room was converted into a large double-height lobby connecting the ground floor with the reading room.