Its mission is to create, direct and coordinate all actions related to the custody, conservation and dissemination of the documentary heritage.
- Management of the state owned and managed archives assigned to the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport.
- Creating, increasing and promoting state owned archives.
- Assessment related to the state owned archives managed by other ministries.
- Coordination of the Spanish Archives System.
- Promotion of the conservation of the documentary heritage as well as its national and international promotion and dissemination.
- Planning, development and maintenance of the Central Archive.
The Office of State Archives has a series of advisory and technical bodies to carry out certain functions:
- Archives High Commission.
- High Commission for Administrative Documents Classification.
The Office of State Archives is organised into different areas and services:
- Archives Documentary Information Centre (CIDA)
- Archival Programming and Coordination.
- Document Reproduction Service (SRD).
- Administrative Documentation Assessment and Treatment.