The international scope of this Office represents one of the most outstanding aspects of its action, both within the framework of the promotion of books (international fairs) and of reading (co-operation with Europe and Latin America); but especially in the field of the Promotion of Spanish Literature (foreign activities of authors and translation subsidies).
In the international scope, the Office for the Promotion of Spanish Books, Reading and Literature:
- Supports the presence of Spanish authors at international fairs, foreign universities, Hispanicism associations and at the centres of the Cervantes Institute.
- Grants subsidies for the translation and publication of the works of Spanish authors, whether scientific or literary, in any foreign language.
- Maintains the Hispanicism Website (in collaboration with the Cervantes Institute), which enables access to current information on Hispanic studies in the world, with three large Hispanicism databases: Hispanists, Spanish departments and associations.
- Supports the foreign promotion of the Spanish Book Sector through subsidies and presence (direct or indirect) in International Book Fairs.
- Collaborates with the Regional Centre for the Promotion of Books in Latin America and the Caribbean (CERLALC).
- It holds ownership of the Spanish ISBN Agency, managed since 23 December by the Spanish Federation of Publishing Associations, which implements the International ISBN Agency guidelines.