N Inv.: CE1/09999
This deep octagonal dish is decorated using serigraphy. The decoration depicts a rural landscape with cows and a plough scene with a small village in the background. The same scene is repeated on the rims of the plate.
The dish comes from the San Juan de Aznalfarache factory in Seville, which was founded in 1854 by English traders who settled in the capital of Bajo Guadalquivir. A skilled English workforce was hired in order to produce tableware of similar quality to that of the best English tableware of the time.
The dish was manufactured during the factory’s second period (1859-1890); a stage in which the factory came into Spanish ownership. Nevertheless, production continued with the English models and decorations of the previous period. The decorations are inspired by English painting traditions and romanticise country life. The sides of the dish are decorated in a style popular in the factory: boughs of holly along four of the corners as well as the repetition of a scene in which four cows and a horse drink from a river.
Serigraphy is a process of printing colour through a fabric stencil that is then applied to the surface of the object where a monochrome print (usually in blue or black) is left. The printing can be done either before or after the glazing. Sometimes only the outline is printed which is then coloured in by hand. Painted pottery was also produced in other centres such as Sargadelos, Cartagena and Gijón.
On display in the Sala de las lozas utilitarias del siglo XIX (Functional Ceramics of the 19th Century), second floor.