№ inv.: CE1/15439
This vase was produced in the Fabrica del Buen Retiro (Buen Retiro factory) in Madrid at the beginning of the 19th century. It is decorated with two oval-framed figurative scenes that are joined together by blue garlands. The lid shows two medallions that contain grisaille-style paintings of pathways seen in the landscape, with a blue leafy border that runs through them. The black medallions and white figures on the main body of the vase imitate embossed images. This type of decoration is typical of the neoclassical style to which this piece belongs.
La Real Fábrica de Porcelana (The Royal Porcelain factory) of Buen Retiro was created by Charles III in 1759, and built in the Buen Retiro Park in Madrid. However, its origins go back to the Capodimonte factory of Naples, also created in 1743 by Charles III who was the King of Naples at that time. After being crowned King of Spain in 1759, Charles brought with him the materials, designs, plans and workers from the Neopolitan factory. This was why the production of the Madrid factory was similar to that of the Capodimonte factory from the very beginning. Its output was divided into three periods, evolving from Rococo to Neoclassicism by the time it closed in 1808 due to the arrival of Napoleon’s troops. The factory originally produced vases made of soft-paste porcelain until its final period (1802-08), when Bartolomé Sureda made it possible to manufacture more durable, hard-paste porcelain.
Not on display.