N Inv.: CE1/11655
This ceramic tiling comes from Casa Conejos on calle San Vincente Mártir in Valencia. The inscription indicates the time and place of manufacture: “De las Reales Fábricas/de Doña María Disdier/ Año 1808” (From the Royal Factories/ of Lady María Disdier/ 1808).
Las Reales Fabricas de Azulejos (The Royal Tile Factories) are comprised of Valencian factories; the Faure factory (1778), the Mossen Femares factory (1795) and the Barcas factory (1797), acquired by the French merchant Marcos Antonio Disdier in the late 18th century. In 1795, Disdier was authorised to use the “Real Fábrica” (Royal Factory) name, which he applied to all of his establishments. This is why “Royal Factories” is always referred to in the plural. Consequently, the factory became the most important producer of ceramics in the city until the first quarter of the 19th century.
Given the size of the tiling, several painters would have been involved in its creation. It is almost certain that the main studio artist of the time, Miguel Chisbert, and the most innovative painter of the time, Juan Bru y Plancha, were involved in its creation.
The tiling is a reproduction of a Directoire-style carpet, decorated with Renaissance-style mythological elements (the goddesses Athena, Victoria and Flora, heads of Mercury among seahorses, birds, garlands), as well as a Rococo-style Chinoserie medallion in the middle.
The tiling was used as an authentic “ceramic carpet”. Its structure – a central oval within three concentric rectangles – reveals its inspiration as a contemporary classicist Savonnerie carpet (a manufacturing process of hand-woven carpets created in Paris in 1627). It is also an example of adapting a piece into a predetermined space, which would have forced its creators to subtly convert it from a square form into another, slightly trapezoidal, form.
Not on display.