Nº inv.: CE1/01523
This majolica tondo (a term referring to its circular shape) is made on a base of whitish ceramic past and covered in glazes of various colours. It was made using the technique of pressure moulding. It is currently attributed to the Florentine workshop of Benedetto Buglioni, although González Martí always attributed it to Benedetto da Maiano. In fact, some models very similar to this piece do exist, such as the marble tondo preserved in the Cathedral of Santa Maria dei Fiori in Florence. The theme of the Madonna with the child and border of plants resembles the work embossed on fired clay introduced by Lucca della Robbia around 1440. This piece dates from around 1510.
The central motif is surrounded by a fringe of three borders: scales in deep blue; a garland of flowers and fruits in brown, green, blue and violet; and a thread of white plants. In the central area is a relief of the bust of the Madonna with the child in her arms. The figures are painted in white, with light strokes of black detailing the eyebrows and the eyes, making them stand out fromof the blue background. They are flanked by two winged cherubs.
It comes from the tympanum of the façade of the Convent de la Santísima Trinidad de Valencia (Convent of the Holy Trinity of Valencia), founded in 1446 by the Lady Maria of Castille, wife of Alfonso V of Aragon. According to press reports from 1925, the province, which was experiencing an economic crisis, had sought permission for its sale, despite the risk of it being sold abroad. Removed from its original location in 1936, the tondo was the first piece acquired by what is now the Museo Nacional de Cerámica (National Museum of Ceramics) in 1940.
On display in the Sala de la cerámica mudéjar (Mudéjar Ceramics Room), second floor.