Inv. No. CE3/00993
The Marquises of Dos Aguas’ Gala Berlin carriage was designed and painted by Hipólito Rovira and carved by sculptor Ignacio Vergara in 1753.
The Berlin is a type of vehicle created in 17th century Berlin (Court of Frederick William, elector of Brandenburg). A special feature of the carriage is that the wheel axles are joined by two shafts at the sides. This new type of vehicle was created to solve safety issues presented by earlier suspended carriages that had a central shaft joining the wheel axles.
The carriage carries four passengers and is accessed by a step at each side. Other features include lion head figures at the front ends of the two wooden side shafts, four nymphs on the columns, a convex leather roof, and red velvet interior. This model, supported by leather braces, is nearly identical to the Prince of Leichtenstein’s ‘Gold Carriage’, also from the mid 18th century.
The design is similar to that of the Palace façade, which refers to the title ‘Dos Aguas’. The panels are painted with mythological themes. These include Zeus and Prometheus; Hermes or Mercury, protector of travellers; Hera; Demeter, goddess of fertility, and Persephone; Athena, goddess of the arts; the allegories of the two rivers (which refer to the Marquises’ title) and the marine thiasus with Amphitrite.
Item displayed in the Courtyard, ground floor.