The courtyard behind the house still retains its original arrangement with the wall separating the yard from the adjoining houses still in place and with the small area that the inhabitants of the house used as a kitchen.
The wall has been restored to its original appearance and on top of it have been placed in order the four reliefs or wrought iron plaques with episodes from Don Quixote modelled in 1877 by the sculptor Pablo Santos de Berasategui to decorate the pedestal of the monument which was erected in the city in that year to the author who narrated the adventures of the ingenious Hidalgo from La Mancha.
In 1918 one of the walls which had originally separated the interior courtyards of the houses was demolished and it was replaced by a magnificent doorway from the church of the Hieronymite monastery of Nuestra Señora de la Armedilla, now ruined, near Cogeces del Monte (Valladolid). It was probably designed by the Flemish architect Hanequín, who was working c.1512 in that monastery, and who here achieves an excellent example of early Renaissance style, very similar to the doorway of the Colegio Mayor de Santa Cruz.
The Bust of Archer M. Huntington in bronze, signed in 1958 by the North American sculptress Anne Hyatt, the second wife of the magnate and Hispanist, who donated it to this Museum, recalls the benefactor who supported and promoted the conservation of Cervantes House in Valladolid.
The courtyard is used for cultural events or children’s workshops, weather permitting.Salto de línea